Saturday, December 8, 2018

Holiday post

                              7 Dec. 2018
Seasons Greetings loved ones, 

Once again, it's been way too long since my last post. It makes writing them challenging when I have too dig back so far to get caught up. 


I've just reread my last post and, as it turns out, I'm full of s**t. I told you I'd continue to report on Carson's progress, which I didn't, and said I'd keep you posted as I had news to report. Oh well, I'm sure I had the best of intentions. 


So, Carson was with us for a total of over seven months. I think the time here was good for him. He learned a lot (he doesn't like fiber glassing or working in tight spaces. He does like welding but not the fabrication that goes with it. He loves passage making, especially the night sky at sea...) but in my opinion, the most important thing he learned is that, he doesn't need to know what he's doing with the rest of his life, right now. 

He's currently in San Diego, planning to do EMT training, with aspirations to go to the fire academy. 

Part of what we did while we were in FL last March was leg work for our temporary mexican residents visas. We were able to complete that process when we got back here, so now we can work here and we don't have to leave every six months. 


Since the March trip, we've made two more runs to FL. Work abounds. I've started doing canvas work. So far I've made a dodger and bimini, a bosuns chair, a sail pack and recovered some cushions. I've been on a steep learning curve, but I think I'm making good progress. 

Capt Johne stays busy all the time. If he's not working on one of the many jobs he has going, he's working on Second Star. We've just replaced our aft head with a composting toilet. It uses no water and almost no electricity. We're very happy with the change. We'll probably change the other one next time we go to FL. 

We've had lots of company this year too. Jeni and Bill were here in the spring. Darrin, Danile and Larry were down for a dive trip in July. The Whitesmans passed through over Thanksgiving. Our friend Kate will be here next week and my dad and niece are coming for New Years. 


I hope a wonderful holiday season is had by all. I'm not going to close this with promises of more to come. Apparently, I'll post when I post. I'll maintain good intentions to update more often. We'll see. In the meantime, live your dreams... 

3 comments:

SV Scarlott Waters said...

Thanks for the update! Glady your family cought up to you I the summer.
We are having a good time here in Elizabeth City. NC.https://photos.app.goo.gl/H9XTaAWeACi3Acwj9

Unknown said...

Love you guys!! Happy to read your updates. Happy holidays! Looking forward to hearing more about your fancy new composting toilet 😁
-melissa

Richard and Kay said...

Great to hear how you are doing. Just did a 9 day 1800NM delivery sailing from Norfolk to St. Martin. Kay is doing well as we chill in Charleston. Enjoy the holidays and best always. Richard

Followers